Thousands upon thousands of people are being mislabeled with autoimmune disease and other vague conditions based solely on their symptoms. For example....let's look at the term fibromyalgia. An increasingly vast number of people are being diagnosed with this "syndrome". What is the definition from Dictionary.com? "
"a syndrome characterized by fatigue and chronic pain in the muscles and in tissues surrounding the joints."
So...if you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it simply means that you have achy muscles and fatigue.Mainstream medicine will only treat the symptoms. Why aren't we looking for the cause of disease? Is it more profitable to treat the many symptoms that result from ignoring the cause and letting the cause go untreated?
Arthritis is another example of this tendency of mainstream medicine to only treat the symptoms instead of the cause. Antibiotics have been shown to be helpful in some cases of arthritis. Why aren't we hearing of more research in this area? Lyme disease is one cause of arthritis....so it would follow that treating the Lyme disease more thoroughly would help to resolve Lyme arthritis. The Arthritis Foundation perhaps is grateful for cases of arthritis which are "incurable" and where the cause is unidentified.
How many disease charity organizations do you know of that have found cures for their disease?Try to name just one.
I could go on for hours concerning the politics of medicine and disease but I think you probably get the idea.
Below is the 9 step plan to deny an epidemic on a national and even a global scale. It is in response to an opinion piece that was in The Lancet. It was entitled "Antiscience and Ethical Concerns.
Perception management has been used in the creation of the title. They have used the term antiscience to mold our emotions and perception of Lyme disease activists and doctors. If any group is really "antiscience" I would say it is the group of doctors who continue to deny curative treatment to those who fail to recover from the restrictive two to three week protocol used by the chronic lyme denialists.Why is patient improvement upon continued antibiotics ignored by these denialists? Patients are fighting back because the long term prescription antibiotics and the natural antibiotics have worked for them. Many , including myself, have gotten their lives back due to treatment with antibiotics as needed. Also ignored by the chronic lyme denialists are the many studies which show that lyme can be a chronic relapsing infection. http://www.lymeinfo.net/lymefiles.html Why are the microphotographic films of the lyme germ changing shape also being ignored? The pleomorphism of this spirochete, along with its ability to hide and sequester into biofilms., is most likely responsible for it's ability to evade antibiotics, the immune system and current diagnostic testing. What about the over 300 strains of the Lyme germ (borrelia burgdorferi)? Is current testing able to identify all these different strains that the patient may harbor? Then we also have to consider the coinfections...the many other diseases that can be passed in one tick bite.Some of these strains and different forms of the spirochete are susceptible to different antibiotics. Many times different antibiotics need to be tried if the patient does not improve with one type. Nutritional and lifestyle support are also of crucial importance in the treatment of Lyme disease. All of these factors together play a role in the successful treatment of Lyme and the coinfections. How can any of this be denied in the face of such strong evidence?
So, we have studies, clinical observation, patient testimony and obvious improvement to demonstrate that longer term antibiotics definitely help to bring seriously ill patients back to a normal life. Are thousands of people who have improved with this more in depth protocol to be labeled liars? The chronic lyme patients of the Chronic Lyme denialists often remain sick while these denialists only treat the patient's symptoms. It must be said however that not all of what we term as chronic lyme patients get better with antibiotics. We are all different. More honest research is needed into what strains of Bb respond to specific antibiotics, the different ways that lyme may be transmitted through the population and why there seems to be an ever increasing number of co-infections that the ticks harbor.
In February 2007 Willy Burgdorfer Scientist Emeritus at the National Institutes of Health and discoverer of the spirochete responsible for Lyme disease was interviewed by the “Under Our Skin” film crew.
Willy Burgdorfer quotes from that interview:“The controversy in Lyme disease research is a shameful affair. And I say that because the whole thing is politically tainted. Money goes to people who have, for the past 30 years, produced the same thing—nothing. Serology has to be started from scratch with people who don’t know beforehand the results of their research. “
If it isn’t persistent infection then what is it and why after thirty years since its discovery are we no further along in understanding why tens of thousands of patients across the county remain ill after the recommended two to three weeks of treatment. Lyme patients and physicians are fed up with wasteful government spending on frivolous Lyme disease research and have voiced their opinions on the petition site: “Subjective Symptoms After Treatment of Lyme Disease”
It is quite clear from our perspective (Lyme community) that the chronic Lyme denialist camp, those identified in the “Antiscience and ethical concerns” opinion piece have no fear about being exposed and feel they are untouchable perhaps believing they are acting on the grounds of national security.
Please take a moment to read the letter below (The Nine Step Program) addressed to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. Please forgive the tone of sarcasm but it was used to make a point. The “fictitious” epidemic of course is Lyme disease and the embedded links will take you to a Lyme disease reference.
Feb 11, 2012
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington , D.C. 20201
Washington , D.C. 20201
Attn: Secretary Kathleen G. Sebelius
Dear Secretary Sebelius,
Please take a moment to read the following document presented to the New Hampshire Department of Health.
Nine Steps to Deny an Epidemic on a National Level 101
The following fictional tutorial was created to assist those in position of authority acting as an autonomous group where its authority is absolute, cannot be challenged and answer only to themselves.
This easily reproduced nine step program is designed to maintain the belief that health authorities have everything under control. This program can be used for any infectious disease when denial is necessary.
1. Produce a two tier antibody testing algorithm where first line screening tests (Elisa) fail to detect 60% of infections. Those patients who do test positive will be allowed the second more sensitive test (Western blot) but design the test with strict criteria (Case definition) so as to rule out 90% keeping infection numbers artificially low.
Note: Do not consider a false negative Elisa as they do not exist and remember; Western blot tests are only ordered after a positive Elisa. Disregard any (outside) studies proving poor testing reliability and certainly do not listen to any patient complaints.
2. Fund only those studies through institutions with researchers that have a bias against persistent infection. It is imperative that these researchers are retained exclusively to continue the pier review process and publishing of each other’s studies. There must be no acceptance of outside studies.
3. Maintain a belief that all stages of infection, acute through late stage are easily cured with a standard two week treatment guideline and turn the disease into a syndrome when patients complain of persistent debilitating symptoms after unsuccessful treatment. Insist that persistent infection cannot exist even though antibody tests can only identify at best a past infection.
4. If a culture test should be developed which is the gold standard for many bacterial infections do not recognize this test and insist it is not government approved.
5. Create a map depicting limited territories were the infection is present. Use an existing institution with a bias against persistent infection to manage the data. Employ the services of a well known public relations firm to announce the map so as to maintain the belief that mainstream healthcare has “got everything under control.”
6. Define the disease exclusively as a zoonotic illness and disregard congenital and gestational transfer cases or transfer between sexually active couples.
7. No need to screen the blood supply for this pathogen.
8. Primate studies proving persistent infection after standard treatment will be ignored.
9. Create a foundation to promote the disinformation campaign and staff the foundation with the same researchers with a bias against persistent infection.
The nine steps provided should prove useful when the need arises to obscure the truth attributable to any mistakes that may have created the outbreak while eliminating any ownership of the problem.
Caution: There is a real risk however that those who follow the program will be indicted for fraud against humanity.
Again, this is a fictional tutorial as nothing like this could take place in the United States.
33 David Dr
Hudson, NH 03051
Website: New Hampshire Lyme Misdiagnosis
The Tuttle family was featured on New Hampshire Chronicle’s “Living with Lyme” with the program archived on their site in six small segments for viewing on the computer
A GRIPPING TALE OF MICROBES, MEDICINE and MONEY